Catalog of Austrian Biobanks
The Biobanking and BioMolecular resources Research Infrastructure Austria BBMRI.at is the Austrian national node of the European biobanking research infrastructure BBMRI-ERIC. BBMRI.at consists of and links Austrian universities and biobanks with the goal to establish a national biobanking research infrastructure for accelerating biomedical research. BBMRI.at aims to establish a state-of-the-art biobanking infrastructure in Austria and to increase close cooperation and harmonization between biobanks. These are prerequisites to facilitating access and fostering the use of biological samples and data for academic and industrial research. Biologic samples and data collected in biobanks are valuable resources for innovations in personalized medicine, and development of biomarkers, diagnostics and therapeutics.
BBMRI.at is developing the "Catalog of Austrian Biobanks" which provides an overview of the Austrian BBMRI.at-associated biobanks and their collections of biomaterial and interrelated data. Providing insight for researchers into the contents of biobanks is an important step towards a biobanking research infrastructure.
How is it structured?The level of detail on the information on BBMRI.at-associated biobanks is increased in a step wise manner during the funding period of BBMRI.at:
- Level 1 (closed): On the first level basic information on biobanks was provided.
- Level 2 (current version, online since 2016): The second level contains information on biobank collections and aggregated information about sample groups.
- Level 3 (planned): The third level will contain information on individual samples and associated (anonymized) donor-related information, quality information, and molecular data generated by analysis of samples.
What it provides?
- An overview of Austrian biobanks and sample collections
- Aggregated information about biomaterial samples
- Contact information to biobankers, collection owners, and researchers
- A starting point to search for available samples and contacts
Who is it for?
- Increase your biobank visibility!
- Publish information about your biobank and collections!
- Publish contact information to share experiences with fellow biobankers!
- Find samples or related data for your research study!
- Search for infrastructure to store samples for your research!
- Spot relevant biobanks and get their contact information!
- Patients, donors, and their organizations:
- Inform yourself about biobanks and their mission in your area!
What it is not?
- It is not a full infrastructure for sample query processing (this will be available later as a part of the BBMRI-ERIC infrastructure)